All elections have been postponed.
The government has passed legislation to postpone all elections until 6 May 2021.
Statement to voters
John lives in Whitley Bay, and has lived in the North-East for over thirty years. He is the Head of Mechanical Engineering at Newcastle University, responsible for balancing teaching and research, and the interests of over 1000 students and staff, and he is a popular teacher of maths to engineers and an excellent communicator. He has been a councillor for a disadvantaged area of Newcastle, school governor, trustee of several charities, union branch president, and is on regional and national church committees. His interests include reading, hill-walking and folk music.
Politically he is a pragmatist, aiming to balance well-being and concern for the vulnerable with the need to run things efficiently in everybody’s interests. He always aims to find ‘constructive consensus’ – ways to move forward that everyone can buy into. Overall, his priorities are the environment, and increasing cooperation within the UK, with Europe, and the wider world through dialogue, education and trade. As a professional in Higher Education he sees the value of our international students (who should not be regarded as migrants!), and the fact that one in seven world leaders are UK-educated – a far more effective form of influence than increasing weaponry!
Right now, we need to get the best deal with Europe in everyone’s interests, and we can’t just trust one person to know best about everything. There should be a proper debate, with a final decision taken by all MPs and, ideally, by the British people. A bad deal with Europe will leave everyone worse off, and with worse prospects for human and animal welfare, nuclear safety and the environment.
This statement was added by John Appleby, their team, or by a Democracy Club volunteer, based on information published by the candidate elsewhere.
This candidate has previously stood for election in:
- 2019: The UK Parliament elections, as the Liberal Democrats candidate for the Tynemouth
- 2019: The Mayor of North of Tyne Combined Authority election, as the Liberal Democrats candidate for the North of Tyne Combined Authority
- 2018: The North Tyneside Council, as the Liberal Democrats candidate for the Whitley Bay
- 2017: The 2017 General Election, as the Liberal Democrats candidate for the Tynemouth
- 2017: The 2017 North Tyneside Council local election, as the Liberal Democrats candidate for the North Tyneside
- 2015: The 2015 General Election, as the Liberal Democrats candidate for the North Tyneside
- 2010: The UK Parliament elections, as the Liberal Democrats candidate for the Tynemouth
That's all we know! Will you help us find more about this candidate?
Our volunteers have been working hard to add information on as many candidates as possible, but they need help.
If you can add information that should be on this page - such as John Appleby's CV - please use our crowdsourcing website to add it.Add or edit details »
All elections where you live
Enter your postcode to get information about elections, your candidates and where to vote.