Martin Paul Costello was the UK Independence Party (UKIP) candidate. Find out more about their policies in the UK Independence Party (UKIP) manifesto.
Statement to voters
I was born and raised in Swindon and really care about my town.
Having become disillusioned with politics and dismayed at how our local population are treated by our representatives at Council level and Westminster, I joined UKIP to do all I can to make a difference.
I am lucky in enjoying a comfortable standard of living though my good education; however, if elected for UKIP I intend to live on the minimum wage for six months to experience what life is like on the breadline and plan to donate my surplus wage to local charities such as the Foodbank. It could be a valuable experience and help me to push the Government on issues that affect those working hard and struggling to make ends meet on inadequate wages.
Having fought the Council about the immoral and highest Council Tax rise in the Country, if elected, I will ensure that the cap is reinstated to block any attempts by the Council to continue raising it by unwarranted amounts annually.
I find fox hunting utterly abhorrent and will fight tooth and nail to stop this being re-introduced.
I strongly believe that those who commit crimes against children and animals should be dealt with extremely seriously and given the maximum punishment permitted by law.
Being fully committed to upholding the NHS, through UKIP we will pressure the Government to end creeping privatisation. The NHS must remain a free and accessible service for all. Also we want to see an increase in Mental Health funding given that the greatest cause of death in under 35’s is suicide.
As a proud Swindonian, I am sick of reading about our crumbling heritage and we want to see this protected for future generations, this is our identity and ought to be preserved. We also want to see more young couples being given the opportunity to buy affordable homes and get a good start in life.
We must do more to tackle homelessness on our streets, crack down on drug trafficking and help those who are destitute. I believe in equality for all regardless of faith, culture and background.
The Tories may well get a landslide victory, however as a determined ‘Leave’ candidate for the Constituency, we want to retain good relations with our European neighbours.
I will hold the Governments 'Feet to the Fire' to ensure we exit the bullying EU in accordance with the democratic voice of the nation. So we need a handful of UKIP MPs in the Commons to do this. Failure to do so will allow the Government to push their own corporate interests.
We have already seen the two main parties fail us, so I ask you all to unite, be bold and brave and vote for UKIP in Swindon on the 8th June. The days of Career Politicians are numbered, it is high time some of us with Swindon in our blood are given the opportunity to transform the town.
1) Ensure the 5% cap is restated on the Council Tax to block any attempts by the Council to continue raising it by unwarranted amounts annually that has pushed many of our fellow Swindonian's into poverty.
2) As the only 'Leave' candidate in the constituency I shall be one of a handful of UKIP MP's in Parliament that will ensure there is no backsliding on our Brexit negotiations by pressurising the Government to deliver what we voted for and to see that we get the best deal for the nation.
3) I will act democratically so that my constituents have the final say in any Commons voting where I act as their representative even if this happens to conflict with my personal view. I will speak for the majority and not be 'party whipped' where we see the Government push their own agenda on key issues such as the NHS, service cutbacks and scrapping the outdated TV License.
4) Being a true Swindonian I will protect our heritage for future generations to enjoy. I will put our town first and will shout from the rooftops to ensure that Swindon is no longer neglected by Westminster. I will fight hard to support local charities who often struggle for recognition despite the amazing work they do.
This statement was added by Martin Paul Costello, their team, or by a Democracy Club volunteer, based on information published by the candidate elsewhere.
Public page: https://www.facebook.com/UK-Independence-Party-UKIP-Swindon-409072649145337/?ref=bookmarks
- Home page
- Favourite biscuit
- “The main party's have taken them all!”
Martin Paul Costello's local party is the UKIP Swindon.
@UKIP on Twitter
This candidate has previously stood for election in:
- 2019: The Swindon local election, as the UK Independence Party (UKIP) candidate for the Liden, Eldene and Park South
- 2018: The Swindon local election, as the UK Independence Party (UKIP) candidate for the Liden, Eldene and Park South
- 2017: The 2017 General Election, as the UK Independence Party (UKIP) candidate for the South Swindon
That's all we know! Will you help us find more about this candidate?
Our volunteers have been working hard to add information on as many candidates as possible, but they need help.
If you can add information that should be on this page - such as Martin Paul Costello's CV - please use our crowdsourcing website to add it.Add or edit details »
Upload your leaflets
If you've received election leaflets from Martin Paul Costello, please take a photo of them and upload them to ElectionLeaflets.org
Democracy runs on good information
You can help make this website better for everyone.
This site is run by Democracy Club. It receives no government funding. Please chip in £5 to help get everyone the information they need to take part.Support Democracy Club
All elections where you live
Enter your postcode to get information about elections, your candidates and where to vote.