Statement to voters
Richard has lived in Esher with his family for 25 years, having previously lived in Hersham. He has a passion for our area, believing it has a unique character worth preserving.
Recently retired, Richard worked in global telecommunications and consumer goods businesses,responsible for managing budgets running into hundreds of millions of
pounds, leading hundreds of staff and overseeing large contracts.
Richard said “Today Elmbridge benefits from a Conservative Administration that gets things done. I will use my experience to ensure our residents benefit from efficient and well delivered services. I will always seek to preserve our open spaces and
Tim Oliver is stepping down as one of Esher Ward’s three Conservative Borough ouncillors this May to focus on his new role as Leader of Surrey County Council.
Tim is backing Richard John to succeed him and said: “It has been a pleasure to represent Esher at Borough or County level for 19 of the past 20 years, including serving Elmbridge Council as Leader over the last six months. I will continue to be
closely involved with Elmbridge, not least because I live in Esher, and I wish Richard every success – I know he will be an excellent councillor.”
Richard is committed to represent the Esher and Hersham Riverside Ward and its residents as their champion.
Richard said: “With Tim running Surrey we will be able to achieve a closer working relationship between our two tiers of local government and get a better deal for residents. I look forward to working with the County and Borough Councils on
issues that affect us in Esher and Hersham every day. I am committed to maintain and enhance not only the quality of life many of us enjoy, but also to improve life for those less fortunate.”
Richard's 6 Point Plan for Esher & Hersham Riverside:
1) Protect the character of Esher and Hersham. I’ll fight to ensure that new
development enhances the character of our town and oppose development on our Green Belt like Sandown Park.
2) Making our community safer. I will fully support the Conservative Police Commissioner as he puts additional police into the front line and delivers our local
Conservative campaign to increase visible police presence on
3) Improve traffic congestion and pedestrian safety. I will build on the work that the Conservative Surrey County Council has started to reduce traffic congestion and make our roads and pedestrian journeys safer.
4) Champion our local shops and businesses. I will be a passionate advocate for our High Street businesses. I understand the challenges they face and the importance they have to our community.
5) Ensure value for money. The Council’s money is your money. I will strive to ensure that Council funds are spent efficiently and wisely so that residents receive
the best value services.
6) Communicate effectively. I will always be available by phone or by email to deal with residents’ concerns. I will communicate regularly with both newsletters
and social media.
Promoted by Peter Szanto on behalf of Richard John both of EWCA, 3 Bridle Close, Kingston upon Thames, KT1 2JW.
This statement was added by Richard Alun John, their team, or by a Democracy Club volunteer, based on information published by the candidate elsewhere.
This candidate has previously stood for election in:
- 2019: Elmbridge local election, as the Conservative and Unionist Party candidate for Esher
All elections where you live
Enter your postcode to get information about elections, your candidates and where to vote.