Statement to voters
I’ve lived in this area all my life. I currently live in Condorrat, the area where I grew up, and have lived and worked right across Cumbernauld over the years.
A decade of austerity has taken its toll on our communities - with far too many local people in low paid jobs; in precarious work, struggling on Universal Credit or on housing waiting lists.
I’m standing for election because I believe passionately that we need a Labour Government that will invest in public services and re-balance wealth and power, in the interests of the many:
· An immediate £10 an hour Minimum Wage, for all age groups
· An end to Universal Credit and the introduction of a fairer social security system
· A Green Industrial Revolution and public ownership of our public transport networks
· A more progressive tax system, meaning more money for public services and the Scottish Parliament
Our communities simply can’t take any more cuts, whether they’re handed down by either the Tory UK Government or the SNP Scottish Government.
Only Labour will take the radical action required to finally end the cuts and properly invest in the vital public services we all rely on.
This statement was added by James McPhilemy, their team, or by a Democracy Club volunteer, based on information published by the candidate elsewhere.
This candidate has previously stood for election in:
- 2019: The UK Parliament elections, as the Labour Party candidate for the Cumbernauld, Kilsyth and Kirkintilloch East
All elections where you live
Enter your postcode to get information about elections, your candidates and where to vote.