Kerry Barker is the Labour Party candidate for Police and Crime Commissioner for Avon and Somerset.
Kerry Barker's policies
Statement to voters
KERRY BARKER for PCC - Avon & Somerset (The Labour Party Candidate) Kerry is a barrister with 50 years’ experience in the Criminal Justice System.
In particular he specialised in dealing with abuse cases – from child abuse, through abuse of people with learning difficulties to abuse of the elderly.
His aim is to improve police effectiveness throughout the whole area.
People have told Kerry that they are fed up with the police failing to deal with local crime so much so that they can no longer be bothered reporting crimes to them This applies as much in rural areas as it does in the towns and cities.
The Labour Party is fully aware of the harm caused to police forces by the austerity cuts made by successive Tory governments and that repeated promises of additional officers fail to materialise BUT locally made decisions by the current Commissioner and her Deputy and the Chief Constable have made matters worse.
Detection rates for crimes such as theft, burglary, criminal damage, public disorder are just awful. The idea that people can steal from shops with apparent impunity must stop.
The harm done to hard working, law-abiding members of the public by the irresponsible minority appears to go unchallenged. Recent examples of an inability to deal with illegal street parties and raves have a serious impact on local residents.
As a lifelong socialist Kerry is very aware that those most affected by crime are the poorest and most vulnerable members of our communities.
If elected Kerry will –
• Restore local policing – by having police officers appointed for and living in local areas. This way people will know who their local officer is and the local officer will know what is going on in his or her area. This will apply equally to rural areas, towns and city estates and suburbs.
• Hold the Tories to account for the closure of local police stations and prevent any further closures
• Seek the return of specialist teams to deal with abuse and violence
• Improve detection rates by giving priority to the recruitment and promotion of specially trained detectives (reducing work overloads)
• Increase the recruitment of BAME officers (not just support officers and civilians)
• Campaign for improved pay and working conditions for police officers
• Campaign for better services for those suffering mental health issues (reducing the burden on police officers)
• Support alternative provisions for drug and alcohol users (so as to reduce the burden on police officers and the cost to the NHS)
• Support new provisions for dealing with homelessness (again reducing the burden on the police)
This statement was added by Kerry Barker, their team, or by a Democracy Club volunteer, based on information published by the candidate elsewhere.
Recent leaflets from Kerry Barker
Uploaded 6 May 2021
Kerry Barker online
- Home page
- The party's candidate page for this person
- We don't know Kerry Barker's email address.
- Can you add it?
|2016||Avon and Somerset Constabulary: Police and Crime Commissioner for Avon and Somerset Constabulary||Labour Party||75,538 votes (not elected)||2016||Henbury & Brentry: Bristol City Council||Labour Party||1,243 votes (not elected)|
That's all we know! Will you help us find more about this candidate?
Our volunteers have been working hard to add information on as many candidates as possible, but they need help.
If you can add information that should be on this page - such as Kerry Barker's CV, email, twitter account - please use our crowdsourcing website to add it.Add or edit details »
All elections where you live
Enter your postcode to get information about elections, your candidates and where to vote.