- The party's candidate page for this person
- https://www.wyreforestlabour.co.uk/district-council-candidates/nigel-knowles-franche-and-habberley-north/ We don't know Nigel Knowles's email address. Can you add it?
Statement to voters
"I am a former Kidderminster Carpet Weaver and I am married to Jennifer, having two grown up children
Following my career as Carpet Weaver, I then studied at Birmingham Polytechnic gaining a BA Hons degree in Politics and then a Teaching Certificate at Worcester College of Higher Education. From the late 1970’s until the late 1980’s I was the Education Officer for the General Federation of Trade Unions based in London.
I was first elected as a Labour Councillor in 1982 in the London Borough of Haringey and served as Chair of Public Works until returning to live in Wyre Forest in 1988.
I have also served as a Labour Councillor on Hereford and Worcester County Council (as well as the newly formed Worcestershire County Council), Bewdley and Kidderminster Town Councils and Wyre Forest District Council (WFDC).
I have been Chairman of WFDC, Worcestershire County Council and Mayor of Kidderminster. I have stood as Labour’s Parliamentary candidate in Wyre Forest twice.
I have written and had published 33 books and plays, including “Dylan Thomas and Significant Others”. I am interested in all forms of published fiction, historical work and reading biographies I want to see a Progressive Labour Council in Wyre Forest building social housing to reduce the waiting list which currently stands at 4,000 families. I also want us to provide job opportunities with “fair wages” on start-up sites such as Silverwoods.
We must end low wages and food banks locally, along with ending insecure work patterns by encouraging Trade Union membership to help improve local pay levels. Defending public services is also my priority.
I am currently the Labour Group Leader on Wyre Forest District Council and Kidderminster Town Council. I want to see Kidderminster be further developed to provide a safe and thriving town centre and our Town Hall fully used by local people."
This statement was added by Nigel Knowles, their team, or by a Democracy Club volunteer, based on information published by the candidate elsewhere.
This candidate has previously stood for election in:
- 2019: Wyre Forest local election, as the Labour Party candidate for Franche & Habberley North
- 2017: 2017 General Election, as the Labour Party candidate for Solihull
- 2017: 2017 Worcestershire County Council local election, as the Labour Party candidate for St Barnabas
- 2016: Wyre Forest local election, as the Labour Party candidate for Franche & Habberley North
- 2015: 2015 General Election, as the Labour Party candidate for Solihull
- 2010: UK Parliament elections, as the Labour Party candidate for Wyre Forest
All elections where you live
Enter your postcode to get information about elections, your candidates and where to vote.