- Home page
- The party's candidate page for this person
- http://southtyneside.greenparty.org.uk/south-tyneside-green-party-david-herbert-for-jarrow-mp.html We don't know David Herbert's email address. Can you add it?
Statement to voters
I have lived in and around South Tyneside all my life, working as a Mining Engineer in coal mining for 18 years and for 14 years as a Health and Safety Advisor mainly in construction. I have been married for 34 years, my wife is a retired teacher and I have two daughters both working for the NHS. People need alternative policies to the failed austerity programmes adversely affecting the majority. These include stopping NHS underfunding and privatisation and renationalising railways. Inequality is growing, the rich few becoming richer, while the majority poorer. The numbers of billionaires has increased while hard working people like nurses have to visit food banks. We call for a wealth tax to fund vital pubic services including free elderly social care, free nursery services for all children, council house building and better cheaper public transport. We need Community Banks, to encourage local investment.
A living wage of £10 per hour is needed to help working families living in poverty. Insulating homes reduces energy costs reduces fuel poverty and provides jobs. Training levels in the UK are low and we would guarantee alternative employment or training. Climate Change is a threat but also an opportunity as we change to electrified transport renewable power generation. We already have electric cars at Nisan and trains at Hitachi. The next North Sea bonanza will be in offshore wind turbines and Tyneside is ideally placed to take advantage with the easily transferable facilities and skills from the declining oil industry We need investment in wind turbine manufacture, solar power and battery storage that are the future for a sustainable economy. All we need a bold political vision to make it happen. South Tyneside deserves better and a vote for the Green Party is a vote for a bright green future.
This statement was added by David Herbert, their team, or by a Democracy Club volunteer, based on information published by the candidate elsewhere.
This candidate has previously stood for election in:
- 2019: South Tyneside local election, as the Green Party candidate for Cleadon and East Boldon
- 2018: South Tyneside local election, as the Green Party candidate for Biddick and All Saints
- 2017: 2017 General Election, as the Green Party candidate for Jarrow
- 2016: South Tyneside local election, as the Green Party candidate for Cleadon Park
- 2015: 2015 General Election, as the Green Party candidate for Jarrow
All elections where you live
Enter your postcode to get information about elections, your candidates and where to vote.